Friday, May 29, 2015

Review: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Book 15/50 
☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️
Photo by: Summer (http://buttermybooks.tumblr.com)


Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Historical Fiction
Series or standalone? Last in the series
Pages: 568
Started: 26/04/15 // Finished: 24/05/15
I read the: UK paperback
Where can I buy this? Here! (via thebookdepository)
Goodreads: Right here!
First Sentence: '"I'm afraid," said the little girl sitting on the bed. "Grandfather, will you stay with me?"'
Favourite quote: "There's more to life than surviving." (pg. 150)

Synopsis: "Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy." (Let's face it. I can't put a normal synopsis on here, because who the hell wants to be spoiled?)




This book made me as emotional as I thought it was going to make me. I think it might be my favourite in the Infernal Devices series. 

Cassandra Clare, as always wrote this book brilliantly. The way she places her words one after another, not only makes you feel as if you're living the story yourself, but also helps you sympathise, fall in love and root for the characters. And all this is done in third person, which in my opinion, is one of the hardest things an author can achieve. A big applause goes to Cassie from me. 

In the third and final instalment of the Infernal Devices, we finally learn who and what Tessa is exactly. And I find her whole backstory very interesting and very well-executed. I absolutely loved how BADASS Tessa was in the book. One of the things Cassie wanted to acknowledge in Clockwork Princess was that you don't have to be male, to be a badass. The two prime examples of this are Tessa and Charlotte. 

Tessa makes a lot of sacrifices to save her friends and not once does she tremble in the face of danger. I don't want to spoil you about what Charlotte's difficulties were, but let's just say she was purely amazing. 

I definitely haven't forgotten to comment on the love triangle (Like. Don't you know who I am?). As I've said before, in my Clockwork Prince review, the Will-Tessa-Jem love triangle is the only bearable and lovable one in YA literature, imo. All three characters are special and beautiful in their own way and the thing going on between them is not: two boys fighting over one girl, as it often happens in YA novels. The relationship between them, above all, is based on friendship, trust and love and not one of them would do something to hurt the others. Will and Jem are practically brothers -being parabaitai- and Tessa's love for them is so unique and beautiful. It was definitely something I cried reading about. 

Also, if you're reading this book and you're nearing the end of it, I want to prepare you for THAT ENDING. WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW AMAZING THE EPILOGUE WAS. HANDS DOWN, MOST BEAUTIFUL PART IN CLOCKWORK PRINCESS (don't judge the all caps, yo.)

And to answer your question: Yes, I cried. I will deeply miss these characters, but who am I to say that I won't be going back to them sometime in the future? ;)







How would you rate this book?

xox

Helen







No comments:

Post a Comment